Thread: Karmic: Why can't I access this public file share

Beans

Karmic: Why can't I access this public file share

There is a public file share that I cannot connect to with my Ubuntu 9.10 netbook. This fileshare was accessible in WinXP (but I since upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10). On our local network the IP address is: 10.2.2.40

• I can ping 10.2.2.40 (so I know it is there).
    • I can access it via http://10.2.2.40 in Firefox (it brings up the fileshare's webpage). However when I click on the link to get to the folders it doesn't bring up the folder in Nautilius.

I tried smb://10.2.2.40 in Nautilus and a error message comes up saying "Error: Cannot retrieve share list from server Please select another viewer and try again."

There is another fileshare on the network (10.2.2.20) that I can access in Nautilus using smb://10.2.2.20 just fine.

How do I troubleshoot this to find out why Ubuntu (samba) cannot get access to this troublesome fileshare?
    Last edited by jstars; November 10th, 2009 at 03:56 AM.

Beans

Re: Karmic: Why can't I access this public file share

Here is some more info about the fileshare I am trying to access:
    Code:
    XXXXX@XXX:~$ smbclient -L 10.2.2.40
    Enter XXXXX's password: 
    Domain=[FORTRESS] OS=[Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 7600] Server=[Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 6.1]

Sharename       Type      Comment
    	---------       ----      -------
    Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED
    session request to 10.2.2.40 failed (Called name not present)
    session request to 10 failed (Called name not present)
    session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
    NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available
    I suspect it is a problem using smbclient to access a Windows Server 2008 fileshare - if so how to I fix this on my end?
    Last edited by jstars; November 10th, 2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Amplification

Beans

This may be a bug. See here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ba/+bug/472681
    I will be downloading a proposed-update to smbclient.

Beans

I applied the proposed update. I still can't browse the share using just the IP address. I tried specifying the IP and folder name and that works (e.g. smb://10.2.2.40/movies).

Unfortunately I am not sure whether the update did that or it was like that before. I guess that makes this is partially solved - still would liek to browse the share though.